FAQ

Who are the UNV Volunteers?

Some 7,500 qualified and experienced volunteers of nearly 160 nationalities serve each year in as UNV Volunteers. UN Volunteers have worked in about 130 countries. According to the Annual Report 2009, nearly 80 per cent are citizens of developing countries while the remaining 20 per cent come from the industrialized world.л

Where are they working?

Over the years, they have served in about 130 countries. Today 40 per cent are at work in Africa, 26 per cent in Asia and the Pacific, and 15 per cent in Central and Eastern Europe; the remainder are to be found in the Arab States, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. Thirty per cent serve in the world's poorest nations - the least developed. Half work outside capital cities, frequently in remote towns and villages. This is in response to expressed needs, and it reflects the commitment which volunteers bring. Included here are the field workers serving at the grassroots level in Asia, the Pacific and Africa. These are practitioners with excellent track records in village-level community work; they exchange skills and knowledge among countries of those regions.

What is UNV?

The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide.

Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation.

Based in Bonn, Germany, UNV is active in around 130 countries. It is represented worldwide through the offices of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP Executive Board.

What is UNV's mission?

Volunteering brings benefits to both society at large and the individual volunteer. It makes important contributions, economically as well as socially. It contributes to more cohesive societies by building trust and reciprocity among citizens. For more information see the Mission Statement or the section Mission on our website.

What do they do?

They work in technical cooperation with governments, with community-based initiatives, in humanitarian relief and rehabilitation and in support of human rights, electoral and peace-building processes. They are professionals who work on a peer basis. They listen and discuss; teach and train; encourage and facilitate. Volunteers also share and exchange ideas, skills and experience.

In which sectors do they work?

The UNV programme involves a wide spread of sectors: it maintains a roster covering 115 professional categories. Agriculture, health and education feature prominently, as do human rights promotion, information and communication technology, community development, vocational training, industry and population.

How is it funded?

Part of UNV's resources come from country and regional funds provided by UNDP. Other significant sources include the regular programme budgets of UN agencies, contributions from host governments, special purpose grants by donor governments, and the UNV Special Voluntary Fund. Contributions to UNV's Special Voluntary Fund and other funds exceed $17 million annually.

How does the programme operate?

It works in partnership with governments, UN Agencies, development banks and non-governmental and community-based organizations. The programmes within which UNV specialists serve are usually managed by governments; often there is technical input and supervision from one of the UN system's specialized agencies, such as the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the International Labour Organization (ILO), the World Food Programme (WFP), the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the World Health Organization, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) or from the World Bank. At the request of some governments UNV itself acts as executing agent.

How do I become a UN Volunteer?

Visit our Volunteers section to read all about how you do become a International UN Volunteer but also National UN Volunteer, Local Volunteer and Online Volunteer.

UNV Field Unit

I joined to UNDP Democratic Governance Programme as finance assistant in 2007. From November 2009-March 2010 worked as temporary finance clerk at UNDP Finance Unit. From May 2010 to April 2013 worked at UNFPA Kyrgyzstan as Administrative –Finance Assistant.  In April 2013 joined to UNV Kyrgyzstan as UNV Programme Assistant.

Press Center

В минувшие выходные на полях Федерации футбола в Бишкеке состоялся футбольный турнир «Я – человек».
 "International Youth Day 2015" will be held in Bishkek on August 12 in the Ministry of Labour, Youth and Migration of the Kyrgyz Republic. 
Go to top